This was a great recipe with a few minor changes. The hardest part was peeling off the raw cabbage leaves. After removing the outer leaves, it is nearly impossible to remove any more leaves without mangling them. Next time, instead of boiling the raw leaves, I will try the suggestions of the reviewers on allrecipes.com to either steam the entire head before removing the leaves or to freeze and then thaw the entire head. These were so good that I'm going to make more tomorrow (to use up my cabbage) and freeze them.
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
6 cabbage leaves
15 oz can tomato sauce
2 T brown sugar
2 T lemon juice
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder, divided
1/2 c white rice, cooked (I used basmati.)
1/2 lb ground chicken (or turkey)
1/2 egg, beaten (I used 1 T cornstarch instead.)
2 T milk
1/4 c onion, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Boil cabbage leaves 2 mins; drain.
3) In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
4) In a large bowl, combine the rice, chicken, egg, milk, onion, salt, pepper, remaining 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 c of the sauce.
5) Divide mixture evenly between the cabbage leaves; roll up the leaves, tucking in the ends.
6) Place rolls in an 8x8 baking dish; pour sauce evenly over the top.
7) Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.