Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Cornbread

One year for Thanksgiving I volunteered to bring cornbread. I was determined to find a good recipe, and I made 3 or 4 different batches and they were all dry and generally not that good. I recently tried a new recipe. Almost the entire 9x13 pan of it got tossed. Then I came across this recipe. Being cautious, I only made a half batch, and I incorporated a few of the changes recommended in the review section. I think I've finally found my go-to cornbread recipe. It was delicious with some honey butter (mix together softened butter, honey and salt, all to taste).

Cornbread

2 c cornmeal
2 1/2 c milk
1 1/2 c flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar (loosely scooped)
2 eggs
1/2 c olive oil

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) In a small bowl, combine cornbread and milk; let sit for 10 mins.
3) In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugars.
4) Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil; beat on low for 5 mins.
5) Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan.
6) Bake for 30 - 35 mins or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment