My friend Carrie was the person who introduced me to this kind of cake. Her recipe was a secret, so I had to google to find this one from Southern Living. This cake HAS to be served warm with ice cream.
Hot Fudge Brownie Cake
1 c flour
1/4 c + 2 T unsweetened cocoa, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 c sugar, divided
1/2 c milk, room temperature
3 T oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1 1/2 c boiling water
1) Preheat oven to 350 deg.
2) Stir together flour, 2 T cocoa, baking powder, salt, and 3/4 c sugar in a large bowl.
3) Stir in milk, oil and vanilla; spread batter in a lightly greased 8-in square pan.
4) Combine brown sugar, 1/4 c cocoa, and 1/2 c sugar in a small bowl; sprinkle over batter.
5) Using a spoon, drizzle boiling water over batter (do not stir).
6) Bake for 45 mins or until a cake layer forms on top and layer springs back when touched.
7) Let cool on wire rack for 25 mins; serve immediately.
Chocolate-Cherry: Thaw 12 oz. frozen dark, sweet pitted cherries; drain and pat dry. Sprinkle over batter.
Mocha: Sub fresh brewed coffee for boiling water.