This is a very tasty, hearty soup. Fantastic with a crusty grilled cheese sandwich!
Lentil Vegetable Soup
1 1/4 c green lentils
2 large sweet onions, diced
3 leeks (white part only) diced
1/4 c olive oil
1 T kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cumin
3 stalks celery, diced
4 carrots, peeled and diced
1 T minced garlic
4 c chicken stock
3 tsp chicken bouillon
1 small can tomato paste
1) In a large saucepan, cover lentils with boiling water; cover and let sit for 15 mins; drain.
2) In a large skillet, saute the onions, leeks and seasonings in olive oil for 20 mins.
3) Add celery, carrots and garlic; saute an additional 10 mins.
4) In the meantime, add stock, bouillon and tomato paste to the lentils; bring to a simmer.
5) Add the vegetables to the stock mixture; bring to a boil.
6) Reduce heat; simmer for 35-45 mins or until lentils are tender.