Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Red Velvet Brownies

I was planning to make brownies to take into work on Friday, so it was good timing when this recipe showed up in my Google Reader.  Very tasty and they were definitely RED!  Next time, I will start with 1 T of food coloring and only add as much as necessary.  If I make them just for us, I will probably leave the food coloring out all together -- food coloring is expensive!.  Also, I made these with the White Chocolate Buttercream frosting as written, but that was a bit too sweet for my tastes.

Red Velvet Brownies

3 T cocoa powder
2 T red food coloring
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c butter, room temperature
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 c chocolate chips

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder, food coloring and vanilla to make a paste.
3) In a mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar.
4) Beat in eggs, one at a time.
5) Add cocoa powder mixture; mix well until batter is completely red.
6) In a small bowl, mix flour and salt; slowly mix into the batter until just combined.
7) Fold in chocolate chips.
8) Spread batter in a prepared (buttered and floured) 8x8 baking dish; bake for 30-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment