Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pierogies

Overall - a success!  I used this recipe and this recipe as guidelines.  To make the filling, I started by making mashed potatoes as usual (potatoes, milk, butter, salt and pepper).  I then split the potatoes in half; to one half, I added chopped scallions, chives, and cheddar cheese.  To the other half, I added caramelized onions, chives and feta.  In the final product, the pierogies with onions, chives and feta were much more tasty as the mixture had a bolder flavor to start with.  Next time, I think I will leave out the milk since the potatoes were runnier than I liked and overseason the potatoes a bit as the flavor got washed out.

Pierogies

1 egg
scant 1/2 c sour cream
1 1/2 c flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
filling

1) In a medium bowl, mix the egg and sour cream together until smooth.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
3) Slowly stir the flour into the sour cream mixture into the dough comes together.
4) Knead the dough on a lightly flour surface until firm and smooth.
5) Roll the dough out to 1/8" thickness.
6) Using a biscuit cutter or glass, cut out 2-3" dough circles.
7) Place a scant T of filling into the center of each circle.
8) Fold the dough over and seal well around the edges.
9) Add pierogies to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook for 5 mins.
10) Drain pierogies, rinse with cool water and lay on a towel to dry.
11) Saute in olive oil/butter until crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment