Recipes courtesy of AllRecipes and the Organic Valley cream cheese box (both slightly modified, of course!)
4 1/2 tsp yeast
1/4 c warm water
1 1/2 c buttermilk
1 c butter, melted, divided
4 1/2 c flour
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 c brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1) In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand until creamy (about 10 mins).
2) In a small saucepan, heat the buttermilk until warm to the touch.
3) Pour the buttermilk and 1/2 c butter into the yeast mixture; mix well.
4) In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
5) Add the flour to the yeast mixture in four parts until a soft dough forms.
6) Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 20 strokes.
7) Cover dough and let rest for 15 mins.
8) In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 c butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
9) On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a large rectangle.
10) Spread with butter/sugar mixture over the dough, all the way to the edges.
11) Roll dough into a log; slice into 1 inch pieces.
12) Place pieces on a lightly greased baking pan; allow some space between the rolls.
13) Cover and let rise for 30 mins.
14) Preheat oven to 400 degrees; bake rolls for 20-25 mins, until golden brown.
15) Let cool 2-3 mins before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
5 oz cream cheese, softened
6 T butter, softened
1/4 c sugar
1 T maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 - 1 c powdered sugar, to taste and desired consistency (optional - I used 1/4 c)
1) In an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter on high speed until light and fluffy.
2) Add granulated sugar, maple syrup and vanilla extract; beat until well blended.
3) Add powdered sugar in 1/4 c intervals, beating well after each addition.
4) If necessary, chill until desired consistency is reached.