This is a really flavorful thick, meaty sauce. A friend's mother originally adapted it from a Dear Heloise column; we've made a few additional tweaks. As with most tomato sauces, you can use whatever tomato products you have on hand.
2 T olive oil
1 c chopped onions
4 strips bacon, finely chopped
1 lb ground beef
4 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 tsp dried parsley (or 3 T chopped fresh parsley)
28 oz San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
8 oz tomato sauce
6 oz tomato paste
2 small carrots, finely chopped
1 large celery stalk, finely chopped
2 T finely chopped basil
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp Italian seasoning
smoked paprika, to taste
1) Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
2) Add onion; saute for 2-3 minutes.
3) Add bacon; saute until about halfway done.
4) Add ground beef; saute until all meat is browned.
5) Add garlic and parsley.
6) In a separate sauce pan, combine remaining ingredients.
7) Add beef mixture to the sauce; simmer for at least an hour.