Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Classic Brownies

You can't go wrong with a basic brownie. These are very chocolate-y and rich. I prepared the brownies as directed below. Next time I will likely skip lining the baking dish with foil and just spray the dish itself. Yes, I'll have to wash the pan, but using the foil is needlessly wasteful, in my opinion. The nuts didn't sink into the brownies as I thought they would, so stirring them into the batter first is always an option. I'm going to try freezing some of these, so I don't eat them all in 2 days :-)

Classic Brownies

1 c (4 oz) walnuts or pecans, chopped
1 1/4 c cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
6 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
12 T unsalted butter, cut into 1" pieces
2 1/4 c sugar
4 large eggs
1 T vanilla extract

1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2) Line 9x13 baking dish with foil; coat with cooking spray.
3) Spread nuts evenly on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 5-8 mins.
4) Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl; set aside.
5) Melt chocolate and butter in a double-boiler over almost-simmering water; stir until mixture is completely smooth.
6) Remove chocolate/butter mixture from heat and gradually whisk in sugar.
7) Add eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition until thoroughly combined.
8) Whisk in vanilla.
9) Add flour mixture in three additions, folding in with a rubber spatula until completely smooth.
10) Pour batter into prepared pan; use spatula to smooth the batter to the edges.
11) Sprinkle nuts evenly over the batter.
12) Bake for 45 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. (Note: The original recipe called for 30-35 min bake time. I used a glass baking dish, and I'm not entirely confident my oven is accurate, but my brownies were still slightly underdone after 45 mins.)
13) Cool to room temperature; lift foil to remove brownies.
14) Cut and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment