This recipe is really easy, but it takes a while to make. I probably whisked for 10-15 mins before the mixture started to thicken. Good thing I had a book handy!
2 c milk
2 T cornstarch
1 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
2 egg yolks
2 T butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
1) Dissolve cornstarch in milk.
2) In medium saucepan, combine sugar, salt, chocolate and milk mixture over medium heat.
3) Whisk constantly until chocolate melts and mixture thickens.
4) Temper egg yolks with 1/4 c of mixture then add to the main pot.
5) Cook (still whisking) for an additional two minutes.
6) Remove from heat; add butter and vanilla.
7) Chill before serving.