After having Key Lime Pie at one of our favorite seafood restaurants Hooked, we decided to make one ourselves. I decided to go with a recipe with eggs in it in an attempt to replicate Hooked's almost cheesecake-like pie. This turned out more like a traditional key lime pie but delicious nonetheless. Uncharacteristically, I used a store bought crust-- but only because my pie pans are all 10" and we don't need that much pie :-) Next time, I will try this recipe. We couldn't find any key limes, so we used bottled juice (3/4 c). I'm still looking for a use for the remaining 3 eggs whites...
Key Lime Pie
1 9" graham cracker crust
1 egg white, beaten
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 - 3/4 c key lime juice (about 20 key limes)
sugar, to taste
vanilla extract, to taste
sliced limes, optional
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Brush prepared crust with egg white; bake for 5-7 minutes.
3) In the meantime, combine egg yolks, milk and juice (in that order) until smooth.
4) Pour batter into pie crust; bake for 15 minutes.
5) Remove pie from oven and let cool.
6) While the pie is cooling, combine whipping cream, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl.
7) Beat until stiff and refrigerate until needed.
8) Once the pie is cool, spread whipped cream over the top.
9) Garnish with limes, if desired.