Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chicken Stock

I've been meaning to make stock forever.  I even had a chicken carcass in my freezer for several months, but it somehow got lost in the move...go figure.  Anyways, I finally stopped reading about how to make stock and just went ahead and did it.  Since I was carcass-less, I had to go buy a bird.  All I could get on short notice was a 7lb stewing hen.  After I started roasting it last night, I did a quick google search and found that hens are mature birds and can be a bit tough.  That's why they are sold as "for soup".  Lesson learned.  Jason picked most of the meat off, and then this morning I used the carcass to make the stock.  I let it simmer for about 8 hours.  I didn't add much additional water, and, after making soup, I have about 28 oz of broth left to freeze.  Next time, I will probably buy a stewing hen and just put it in the pot raw and pick the meat afterwards.

Chicken Stock

1 chicken carcass
2-3 carrots, coarsely chopped
1-2 onions, coarsely chopped
2-3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
water
2 T apple cider vinegar
handful parsley


1) Put chicken, carrots, onion and celery in a large pot; cover with water and add vinegar.
2) Let sit for 30-60 mins.
3) Bring to a boil and skim off any scum that floats to the surface.
4) Cover and simmer 4-24 hours.
5) Add parsley 10 mins before you plan to turn off the heat.
6) Remove bones and any large bits; strain into jars.
7) Let cool and refrigerate or freeze.  If freezing, don't forget to leave head room in the jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment