Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Light and Crispy Waffles

These waffles definitely lived up to their claim of light and crispy, but I think the crispiness really came from putting them in the oven. As this recipe is a bit time intensive, I might try the oven thing with an easier recipe to see if I can achieve the same crispiness. The recipe below is as written. I had to make a few subs based on what I had on hand. I had no buttermilk and only 3/4 c whole milk, so I supplemented it with 1/4 c water. I replaced 1 T milk/water with 1 T white vinegar.

Waffles

3/4 c flour
1/4 c cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 c buttermilk
1/4 c milk
6 T oil
1 egg, separated
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees; preheat waffle iron.
2) Combine the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium-sized bowl.
3) Combine the milk, buttermilk, oil and egg yolk in a liquid measuring cup; whisk with a fork.
4) In a small bowl, beat the egg white with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
5) Gradually add the sugar to the egg white; beat until thick and glossy.
6) Stir the vanilla into the egg white.
7) Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk just until blended.
8) Fold in the egg white mixture with a spatula.
9) Pour batter into a hot waffle iron in the recommended amount (2/3 c in my case).
10) Keep finished waffles in the warm oven directly on the rack. Do not stack the waffles, or they will become soggy.
9)

No comments:

Post a Comment