This was one of our first attempts at making fish, and it turned out pretty well. The original recipe called for marsala wine, but we used a reisling we had on hand instead.
Pan Roasted Sea Bass
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 tsp garlic, minced
1/4 c wine
1 T butter
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 c chicken broth
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
2 T grapeseed oil
approx. 1 lb sea bass
1) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2) Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until the onions are translucent.
3) Deglaze the pan with wine (remove the pan from the stove first to prevent the wine from igniting).
4) Once most of the wine is cooked off, add the butter and mushrooms. Saute over medium heat until the mushrooms are tender.
5) Add the broth, salt and pepper. Cook until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency.
6) In the meantime, season the fish fillets with salt and pepper.
7) Heat the grapeseed oil in a heavy, oven-safe skillet until almost smoking.
8) Cook the fillets skin side down for approx. 5 mins; don't let the oil get too hot!
9) Flip the fillets and cook for another 30 sec.
10) Transfer the skillet to the oven for 3-4 minutes.
11) Serve fish over rice with the mushroom/onion sauce.